Thursday 15 May 2014

COP BOOK// Cover Design



 These four images show where I started with this project. Showing four main ideas, some of which would merge together to create my final design. The aim with this process was trying to get an idea for how to illustrate which way up the book sits, what is inside it and what it is all about. I wanted to avoid having some boring heading like 'design inspiration', although I toyed with the idea for a while. The main idea that I wanted to continue on here was the 'Things that I "love", "rate", "approve"- or however you would like to interpret those symbols.

 I was also looking at things to do with the back covers. This was an idea that I floated for a while today, although I think it takes over the page too much. Part of what I want to play with here was the fact that I plan to print on a silk finish, which really makes people want to stroke patterns.

 Another Idea was to use arrows to act as a 'this way up' sign on the front of the book. I thought this could be accompanied by a single gold star, as if to suggest that I give one gold star to everything in the book perhaps.

 One idea I kind of liked was this overlay of text and the arrow shapes. However after looking at it for a while I realise that it sort of looks like one of those shitty uni night club promotion posters so I have abandoned this ship.
One idea that I was working with was this collection of shapes, and as I tried to put it into sentences I realised that it looked like the way some people type out swear swords. So I used it like one here. It is important to note that that is not what I have intended the icons to represent and my final designs aren't just a book that says 'fuck' on the front in some secret way. 

 This is my final design as it stands, it incorporates the icons representing my feeling for the books contents as the title of the publication and the three arrow markers, representing three years and the direction that the book is suppose to be unfolded.

No comments:

Post a Comment