Friday 2 May 2014

PROPAGATION HOUSE// Evaluation

For me this has been a hugely successful brief, increasing my confidence in web design, developing visual identities and most importantly, in dealing with clients.

It has helped that Mark is a fairly laid back client and has been more than accommodating with my college calendar.

As it was important for me to visit the studio in Cornwall, this brief did take longer than anticipated to complete, finding time to get there and back as well as communicating with Mark meant that the brief was a background task all year rather than a brief I could focus on and complete in one block of time.

As a side effect of this there was plenty of time to reflect on the works progress as it developed. The most noticeable part of this reflection was now my skills in web design improved over the year. If this brief had been completed when I originally planed for it to be, before Christmas, the website would have suffered in design, layout and functionality. 

I believe that the new identity fits Propagation House perfectly and was an interesting bit of design development for myself. This is because I researched the intended viewers world through gig posters, and built a unique logo based on that, rather than basing the logo off of another logo, as is usually my process. The only downside to the new logo is its sheer size, a consequence of the long name, limiting its effectiveness when scaled down to smaller sizes. Although this was bought up in one of my correspondence emails with Mark, it remained his choice to move forward with it rather than switching to one of the more scalable designs.

The ‘final product’ of this brief is really the website, which will hopefully go live as soon as Mark updates some of the text and provides the final images. It will be the first website, other than my own, that I have designed to go live. I am particularly proud that it is fully responsive and will be viewable on a range of screen sizes.


If I had some more time to work on this brief it would be great to develop some printed products and some brand guidelines for Mark to use as he takes on ownership of the new identity. Because this is a live brief and I have a good working relationship with Mark my plan is to continue working for him after the course is over, to develop some more products like brochures and guides to the studio as well as working on new projects for his clients who, as musicians, often want design work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment