Thursday 22 May 2014

OUGD 603// END OF MODULE EVALUATION

This has been a huge and unwieldy module to work on. It has seemed that the most important aspect of this year has been successfully managing your time. This is something that I have never been particularly good at on a long term basis however there have been points in this module where I have managed mine and others time very well. This was most apparent during the collaborative briefs that I have worked on with Martin and Simon. Here, as a result of the pressure of not letting others down, I was absolutely on the ball at all times. Unfortunately I can not say the same for some of the other briefs, where I find that although I could work hard, there were periods of times when I was just treading water and getting nothing important done at all. This isn't to say that I just sat around all day either, I have found that often when you are working alone you tend to over-think problems and things that should take hours end up taking days.This has resulted in me dropping two briefs that I have started and never finished; a collaboration with Mikey, where we planned to map typography that we found around Leeds and a personal brief about science fiction games posters. Both briefs I have started and have not yet finished.

That being said I have learnt a wide range of new skills and software this year like how to use the audio recording facilities, animation in after effects and film production in premier pro. I have also gone back to screen printing and have had several publications printed, all of which turned out great. One aspect of this module that has been really enjoyable has been out ability write our own briefs, allowing me to select to work on projects that I thought would suit me and go out and find my own live briefs. This has been a great opportunity to explore my interests, but as usual there is so much more that I want to work on. Especially a more politically charged brief and to have finished the two brief mentioned before. I have found that although the freedom of this year has been enjoyable, I have still struggled to keep on target with my plans.

For me the best part of the module has been working on the live briefs, especially the two for real clients; DHR and Propagation House. I felt that this has really improved my knowledge on how to deal with clients in the real world, and how to manage their own desires with your own ideas and creativity to still communicate an effective message.

In reflection of the module as a whole I think I have done some good work. I would have liked to have done about 50% more, however at this stage there is nothing I can do about that. My biggest friend has been an ability to rise to different challenges and complete tasks that I would not have been able to do with the skill set I had at the start of the year. My biggest foe has been poor time management and perhaps a small feeling that I do not take myself as seriously as a designer as I should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment