Monday 19 May 2014

COP BOOK// Evaluation

This has been an interesting brief to work on, and a fairly unique one for me. It has been an interesting process to collect images that speak to me on a creative level and dedicate a book to them, and its been interesting to see what I have come up with.

If I had longer to work on this project I could have continued and found much more content. However I planned to limit the publication to 200 pages so that other tasks were not neglected and only ran slightly over this goal. As a result there are some images that I ended up leaving out, for example I would have liked to have included a chapter on gig posters.

In terms of design and layout I am very happy with the publication. Its a very simple layout which makes the book fun to flip through and easy to navigate. Each images also has a very small amount off text next to it which offers some information or a point of view about the work.

Most importantly the book communicates my outlook on design and creativity, covering actual graphic design and then moving on to films, politics, science, nature, engineering and the exploration of space. These topics may not directly relate to graphic design, however they show my interesting in a range of topics which influence the way that I interact with design and view the world around me.

On a different note I am very pleased with the final product... as a product. The publication feels sturdy and book-like in weight. It features a suitable amount of information and looks interesting enough to pick up. I also like the way that it doesn’t have a real title, just a series of icons. I suppose this reflects on the outlook that design and communication does not have to be type based, these icons reflect on the value, and how I feel about, the books contents.

The layout and format of the book is something I really considered and I do believe that it was a successful decision to place the spine at the top. The goal was to have a book that was comfortable to open in any direction. It has also given the book a new level of interaction and gives the impression that there is no true way to view it.

In the future I believe that I will be able to view this publication as a source of inspiration, not only from the images it contains, but from seeing it as a viewpoint into how I see myself and the world of design and inspiration right now, as a young graphic designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment