Sunday 16 February 2014

SECRET 7"// Final Designs and Evaluations


My final submission design for T-Rex ‘Get It On’ is an illustration of a cold war era tank, a T-62. The reference here is to the world that T-Rex lived in as well as the use of the main gun as a phallic object. Looking at winners of previous years I stripped the design back to show just one tank with two solid colours.

This submissions did not win a place in this years show. I think the main problem with the design is that It does not directly reference the song or band. Something I may have overstepped in the brief, as many of the submissions used song lyrics, I think that this submission has too subtle links to the song.

However, I really like the illustration. It is a simple design, but illustrates the shape of the tank with surprising detail for its size. It would be interesting to develop a series that follows a similar style sometime in the future.

This submission didn’t get anywhere either. This time I think that the main problem lies in the message. The song is all about reasoning in the modern age. My cover is all about the band. Again I used an idea which neglected the song over the band as a focus point.

Again I like the cover myself and I think its very much in the style that is suitable for the band as it references some of their older icons and identity, as well as their state today as aging rockers.

As an evaluation of the success of both sleeve designs it seems that I missed the brief. Whilst I feel that the work is good the judges did not and that is all that matters when there is competition. As a result if I enter again next year I will put more work into understanding the song itself rather than the band who wrote it.

No comments:

Post a Comment