Tuesday 11 February 2014

SECRET 7"// Research

 As this is a brief about record sleeves I thought it would be a good opportunity to use my own record collection for reference and research. These are a few of the sleeves displaying a range of styles in  similar genres to T-Rex and Black Sabbath.

In many ways my appreciation of a record sleeve increases as its design becomes more simple. Many of the best here feature only one image or an icon. In my opinion the more complicated they get the worse they are aesthetically. As an example compare Queens of the Stone Age (top) to the Arctic Monkeys (wavelength illustration).

Studying these sleeves gave me a definite style to carry onto my own work; regarding style and meaning over having an excess of image, text and colour. Having said this my favourite design is Fuzz (bellow). Although I find this the most interesting, and crafted design, it is not something I would be able to accomplish in the timescale of this brief, no matter how much I would love to.













No comments:

Post a Comment