Tuesday 1 October 2013

TYPEFACE// Brief

Background:
I have always been interested in the style or letterforms used in graphic novels and comic books. This brief is a personal investigation into this style and my own handwriting.

Concise Brief:
Create a usable typeface, based on my own handwriting and inspired by graphic novels.

Brief:
The focus of this brief is one of investigation into my own handwriting; now I construct letters and write sentences. The aim is to build a working typeface in the style of the handwritten type found in graphic novels and comic books. To reach this aim an investigation to find examples of this style of typography will be undertaken as well as one into understanding the context in which this type is made.

Concept:
I want to create a simple typeface that works as both body copy for a graphic novels storyline as well as working on a larger scale, such as a title, or banner for the publication. My concept is to use my own handwriting, which is close to the style found in some graphic novels, and illustrate it into a refined digital format. A single weight of the hand drawn typeface can then be presented in a type specimen book.

Deliverables:
Typeface
Type Specimen

Tone of Voice:
Post-Modern, Comic book.

List of Influences:
Sin City, Frank Miller
Maus, Art Spiegleman
David Boring, Daniel Clowes

No comments:

Post a Comment